Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
These rich and decadent brownies are a little more trouble than the usual variety, but are more than worth it.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 3-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of an 9x13-inch pan or Pyrex dish.
- With an electric mixer, cream the 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar. Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 1-1/3 cups flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, blending well. Stir in the pecans. Spread half of the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Cream the 1/3 cup butter and cream cheese in a small bowl. Add 1/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons flour, blending well. Add 2 eggs and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla, and beat until batter is smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture carefully over the chocolate batter in the pan. Then carefully spread the remaining chocolate batter over the cream cheese mixture. Gently swirl a knife through the layers of batter for a marbled effect.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool completely in pan before cutting into squares.
- Makes about 24 brownies.
Note: For an extra special touch, toast the pecans in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then let them cool before adding to the mix. If you like brownies, consider reading our article My Best Chocolate Brownies.
Ready in: 1 Hr