Shortbread (with Variations)
This is for you shortbread purists. You don't have to use a shortbread mold (although they do look nice displayed in your kitchen). Shortbread tastes just as good when made in an ordinary cake pan. This is easy to make, and it's a toothsome treat everyone will love.
I made the Lemon Shortbread variation pictured at right by adding a mere 2 teaspoons of grated lemon zest and a little extra sugar. Delicious! Note more variations below.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Prepare a 9-inch round or square cake pan (or shortbread mold) by spraying it lightly with vegetable cooking spray.
- Cream butter in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- At low speed of mixer, begin adding flour slowly. Mixture will be thick.
- Turn mixture out onto unfloured surface, and knead until thoroughly mixed.
- You should have a smooth, stiff dough.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan or shortbread mold, and prick entire surface with fork.
- Bake at 325°F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- It should be lightly browned.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then loosen edges with knife and invert pan onto cutting board.
- Shortbread may be coaxed out by tapping edge of pan.
Chocolate Shortbread To original recipe, add 1-1/2 tablespoons cocoa, and increase sugar to 1/2 cup and vanilla extract to 1/2 teaspoon. Orange Shortbread To original recipe, add 2 teaspoons grated orange peel, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and increase sugar to 1/2 cup. Lemon Shortbread To original recipe, add 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest and increase sugar to 1/2 cup.
Ready in: 50-55 Min