Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
A delightful holiday cake that uses fresh cranberries. The Bourbon Whipped Cream (recipe below), adds a terrific touch.
Ingredients: For the Topping
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/4 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Bourbon Whipped Cream, if desired (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; line with cooking parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl.
- In cake pan, stir melted butter and brown sugar until well blended. Sprinkle cranberries over brown sugar mixture; set aside.
- Add the sugar, egg, milk, oil and vanilla to a mixing bowl. Add the sifted dry ingredients and mix on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over cranberries in pan.
- Bake 33 to 38 minutes or until deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Run knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Cool pan on cooling rack 5 minutes. Place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove pan.
- Cool 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Serve warm or at room temperature with Bourbon Whipped Cream or ice cream, if desired.
Bourbon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup very cold heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon whiskey
Kitchen tools you'll need for Cranberry Upside-Down Cake:Cake Plate, 8-inch round Cake Pan, Sifter, Mixing Bowls, Spatula
Ready in: 1 Hr