It bakes nicely in a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and lightly grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugar in an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the egg yolks and milk and beat at high speed until everything is combined.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures until just moistened. Stir in the pecans and lemon peel. The batter will be thick.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, and very carefully fold them into the batter with a flexible spatula.
- Scoop the batter, and lightly pile into the prepared pan. (Do not pat down or spread the batter because that flattens the loaf.) Bake for 1 hour, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Pour lemon topping over bread as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Cool in pan. Wrap tightly for storage. This bread freezes well.
- Makes 1 loaf.
Ready in: 1 Hr 30 Min