- Christmas solved! Send special-priced gifts from OMAHA STEAKS
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
Official holiday season is underway. With all the extra working, shopping, parties and travelling, it's easy to not eat properly. Oven-Baked Buttermilk Chicken makes for a substantial, healthy dinner.
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2017 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
This savory dish is every bit as appropriate for Sunday dinner as it is for a picnic. Boneless, skinless chicken pieces, especially chicken thighs, may be used with great success.
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3-pound chicken, cut into serving pieces (or 3 pounds of chicken pieces)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine onion soup mix with the flour, and set aside.
- Beat the eggs with the buttermilk. Dip chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture, then flour mixture, coating well. A breading basket is a handy gadget to use for this task.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large shallow baking pan (a 9x13-inch baking dish works well), and chill for 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with melted butter, then bake 45 minutes or until well done.
- Serves 4 to 6 people, depending upon appetites.
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week.
- Two Places at Once: Persimmon Quick Bread, Stacy Mattinson: Best Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe , Kitchen Concoctions: Tex-Mex Quiche recipe, Dinner A Love Story: 48 Hours in Montreal
- December 1 is National Pie Day - our famous Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.
- Eater Austin: Does HEB’s $5 curbside service mean you never walk into an HEB again?
- THIS WEEKEND - Dickens on the Strand Galveston's World Famous Victorian Holiday Festival, Houston Zoo Lights at the Houston Zoo November 18 - January 14. "Twinkling lights. Hot chocolate. Family. What do the holidays mean to you?"
- NYT Food: Panettone Has Become an Obsession for American Bakers The Italian holiday bread is revered among serious bread bakers for its extraordinary texture and flavor, but getting it right is a challenge..
- Houston Chronicle: Recreational fisherman in Lake Jackson gets prison time for lying about red snapper haul.
- Texas Entrepreneurs: Daughter of "Crazy Kolache Lady" starts Dallas bakery specializing in Czech delicacy .
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
by Stella Parks - "connects the dots between your childhood treats and digs into the storied pasts of American favorites, such as cream pies, vanilla wafers, peanut brittle and even Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups." - Addie Broyles / Austin American-Statesman
- Vinegar Revival: Artisanal Recipes for Brightening Dishes and Drinks with Homemade Vinegars
by Harry Rosenblum
The next frontier in fermenting and home brewing is vinegar: the essential ingredient for enhancing your home cooking.
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- TMBBQ: Automated Beef Grading Hits a Snag, Causing a Dip in Prime Grade Beef Supply - It turns out that the camera might add ten pounds (or something like that).
- December is National Fruit Cake Month --- see our full list of American Food Holidays.
- CNN: Did You Grow Up in an Oilfield Company Camp in Texas? Marfa Public Radio Wants to Hear From You!
- UK Guardian: How the Sandwich Consumed Britain - The world-beating British sandwich industry is worth £8bn a year. It transformed the way we eat lunch, then did the same for breakfast - and now it's coming for dinner. (The Long Read)
- National Geographic: How the Netherlands Feeds the World - The Netherlands has become an agricultural giant by showing what the future of farming could look like.
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Video of the Week: Ft Worth Zoo SAMPLE Tour.
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter