This creamy caramel frosting is a great match for apple or spice cake.
- 6 tablespoons Crisco® shortening or canola oil
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Over low heat, melt Crisco and sugar in saucepan. Stir in milk, brown sugar and salt. Bring mixture to boil over medium heat, and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Beat by hand or with electric mixer until mixture is lukewarm. Add vanilla.
Continue beating until frosting is creamy and thick enough to spread.
- If it becomes too thick to spread, add a teaspoon of milk and mix well. Makes enough to frost a two-layer cake.
Ready in: 4 Hrs