Great muffins for a holiday breakfast, or to serve with hot tea. The original recipe appeared several years ago in Bon Appetit, but has had a couple of changes. This recipe is from the talented Sidney Carlisle's article about Holiday Desserts Worth the Calories.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2/3 cup prepared mincemeat (jarred mincemeat)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place paper liners in a twelve-cup muffin pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, melted butter and orange peel, mixing well. Stir in the mincemeat.
- Add the flour, stirring just until blended. Do not over-mix. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
- Bake about 25 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Makes 12 muffinss.
Ready in: 1 Hr