Hot Pants Chili
This recipe is from the legendary Allegani Jani Schofield from Fredericksburg, Texas, who won the CASI Terlingua Cook-off in 1974, as documented by John Raven in his series on The History of Chili Cook-Offs. This is monumentally good chili, and it is hot. No apologies here.
- In a pot, brown the meat and onions in the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a molcajete (mortar and pestle), grind the comino seeds and the garlic with a little water and add to the meat.
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes, sugar, beer, chili seasoning, and chili seasoning and chili powder. Add the mixture to the meat.
- Add the mole paste, Tabasco, salt, water and jalapeños and cook for 2-1/2 hours, stirring well from time to time.
- At the end of the cooking time, make a runny paste of masa and water and add it to the chili. This will thicken the chili, but stir it fast or it will be lumpy. Cook 30 minutes more.
- Yields 6 servings.
Ready in: 4 Hrs