- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain the liquid from the beans. Remove and discard that token scrap of pork fat (if that's what it really is) they put in each can. Put the beans in a 2-quart baking dish.
- Fry the bacon, remove it from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Sauté the onion in the bacon drippings until it is transparent. Remove onion with a slotted spoon and add to beans.
- In a small bowl, blend the brown sugar, molasses, catsup and dried mustard.
- Break or tear the bacon into 1-inch pieces and add to beans. Add the brown sugar mixture, and stir gently until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings.
This recipe is easily doubled for a big cook-out crowd. Are you a bean connoisseur? If so, you'll also want to read John Raven's article on how to cook beans.
Ready in: 50 Min