Always popular at a party, Texas Caviar (with its black-eyed peas) will make for good fortune for the coming year if eaten on New Year's Day. From Patricia Mitchell's article on blackeyed pea recipes.
- Drain peas, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Combine olive oil, chiles, cayenne, onion, celery, vinegar, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Drain the chiles.
- Pour over peas and stir gently.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- At serving time, add chopped tomatoes and cilantro, and stir gently to mix.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Note: Be sure your peas, onion and celery contain as little water as possible. Texas Caviar is chunky -- not soupy.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 0 Min; Total time: 15 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell