Buzzard's Breath Chili
Cooks on the competition chili circuit are known to be playful when naming their recipes. But don't let the name of this recipe fool you. This chili took first prize at the Chili Appreciation Society International Cookoff in Terlingua, Texas in 1977.
- Melt the lard, butter or drippings in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent.
- Combine the beef with the garlic, ground chile, cumin and oregano. Add this meat-and-spice mixture to the onions in the pot. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes, until meat is evenly browned.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, salt and optional parsley. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Stir in the masa harina to achieve the desired consistency.
- Cook 10 minutes longer, stirring. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 1 Hr 50 Min; Total time: 2 Hrs 5 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell