Brazos River Chili
This prize-winning chili will bring you great recognition. Adding the spices throughout the cooking process is key to its success. Make sure to use the sweet paprika, which H-E-B Central Market sells affordably in the bulk spice area.
- In a Dutch oven, brown the meat in the bacon drippings. Add the garlic and onion and cook until just transparent.
- Add the beef broth, the chicken broth and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. Add the onion powder, chili powder, paprika and white pepper, and stir well. Float the jalapeño halves on surface of chili.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Check occasionally to see that liquid covers the meat. If it begins to look dry, lower the heat and add a little beef broth.
- Remove jalapeños from surface and stir in the additional chili powder, ground cumin and onion powder. Return jalapeños to chili, cover, and simmer over very low heat for an additional hour.
- At the end of the cooking time, you may adjust the taste with additional chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powder, if desired.
Does your kitchen need a high-quality Dutch oven? Get a great All-Clad, Lodge or Le Creuset Dutch oven here.
Prep time: 15 Min; Cooking time: 2 Hrs 20 Min; Total time: 2 Hrs 35 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell