Despite its name, this is a good, sweet pie.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolks, butter, 1 cup of the sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in the boiling water and vinegar.
- Cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Pour filling into baked 9-inch piecrust.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Continue beating, gradually adding the 2 tablespoons sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla, until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edges.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
Note: To minimize "weeping," spread the meringue on the pie filling while the filling is hot. Also, meringue pies cut better with a wet knife blade.
Below are links to our piecrust recipes. Either standard or butter pastry is right for this pie.
Ready in: 1 Hr 15 Min