These chocolate caramel candies are a popular sweetmeat at Lammes Candies in Austin. From Lori Grossman's article about Lammes Candies (chocolate strawberries).
- Butter a large cookie sheet and line it with waxed paper.
- Set aside.
- Place the caramels and cream in a heavy small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir constantly until the caramel is melted.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Arrange 5 pecan halves in a grouping on the cookie sheet to resemble a turtle's legs and head.
- Repeat with remaining pecan halves until you have made 24 groupings.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of caramel over the center of each grouping of pecans.
- The caramel will become the turtle's shell, so make sure you leave the ends of the pecans (the head and feet) exposed.
- Let caramel firm up while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt half of the semisweet chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over hot water. (If you don't have a double boiler, place the chocolate in a bowl that fits snugly over a pot of hot water.)
- When the chocolate has melted completely, remove the top part of the double boiler (or the bowl) from the hot water.
- Add the remaining 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate and stir until all of the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Insert a candy thermometer or chocolate thermometer into the melted chocolate.
- The temperature should read 88 to 90°F.
- If the chocolate is too cold, place it back over the hot water until the temperature reaches 88 to 90°F.
- If it is too hot, let it cool until the desired temperature is reached.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of the chocolate over the caramel to cover it completely.
- Remember to leave the tips of the pecans exposed.
- If desired, use a toothpick to draw lines in the chocolate to represent the turtle’s shell.
- When completely set, (about 4 hours at room temperature), peel the turtles off the waxed paper.
- Store the turtles in layers, separated by waxed paper, in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Ready in: 4 Hrs
Kitchen tools you'll need for Turtle Candy:Candy Thermometers, Cookie Sheet, Double Boiler, Saucepan