Three Chiles Chili
This is a serious chili recipe for people who are serious about their chili.
- Split the dried chiles in half and remove stems and seeds (if using canned chipotle chiles, do not add them at this time).
- Put them in a saucepan with the beer.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to be sure all parts of the chiles are softening.
- While chiles are simmering, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet and sauté the onions 5 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Remove onions from the pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil, and cook the beef, stirring frequently, until the beef is lightly browned.
- Put the beef and onions in a large pot or Dutch oven with the beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
- Put the chiles and cooking liquid in a blender or food processor.
- If using canned chipotle chiles, remove the stems and add chipotles to the blender.
- Purée until a thick red sauce forms.
- Push the sauce through a sieve to remove the bits of skin, then add sauce to the simmering meat.
- Stir in seasonings and sugar.
- Continue to simmer for at least 1 hour, until meat is tender, adding beer, beef broth, or water if needed.
- Add salt, adjust seasonings to taste.
Ready in: 1 Hr 51 Min