This recipe first appeared in the article, Genuine Strawberry Shortcake. It makes six individual shortcakes or one 8-inch shortcake. The shortcake is sliced and served like a layer cake. It's a deliciously light dessert that makes a beautiful presentation.
- Prepare the strawberry topping:
- Several hours before serving time, slice the strawberries.
- Mash one cup of the strawberries with a potato masher.
- Stir the mashed berries and juice back in with the rest of the berries.
- Sprinkle the 6 tablespoons sugar over the berries, stir a few times.
- Keep at room temperature until serving time.
- Prepare the whipped topping:
- Whip the 1-1/2 cups heavy cream to soft peaks, adding the 2 tablespoons sugar while the mixer is running.
- Gently fold in the vanilla when the cream is whipped.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
- Preheat oven to 450°F degrees.
- If you are making an 8-inch layer shortcake, butter an 8-inch cake pan.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture has the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Combine the beaten egg with the cream and pour over the dry ingredients all at once.
- Stir briefly just until mixture comes together.
- If mixture seems dry, stir in 1 tablespoon milk.
- Bake the shortcake:
- For the 8-inch layer shortcake:
- Lightly press the dough into the buttered cake pan, leaving the edges slightly higher than the center.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack for 5 minutes.
- For individual shortcakes:
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead and fold 6 or so times.
- Gently pat the dough to a thickness of 3/4 inch.
- Cut 3-inch rounds with a cookie cutter.
- Gather the scraps back together and knead lightly until you have at least six rounds and have used all the dough.
- Place rounds 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool baking sheet on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- To serve either size shortcake, split and butter the shortcake with the softened butter.
- Spoon strawberries and whipped cream between the layers and over the top.
- Serve at once while still warm.
Note: To easily and neatly split the 8-inch shortcake, stick 6 or 8 toothpicks into the side of the layer, just at the middle, all around the layer - like a sun with rays. Using the toothpicks as a guide, slice through the layer with a serrated knife - a bread knife works great.
Ready in: 3 Hrs