Spinach Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce
Spinach-filled enchiladas served in a green "tomatillo sauce" is a South Texas favorite. This recipe is from The Enchilada Queen, who calls these Crystal City Enchiladas. Of course, Texans know that the small town south of San Antonio, Crystal City, is the state's Spinach Capitol. Enjoy these wonderful enchiladas.
- Make the spinach filling.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch Pyrex dish.
- Place around one tablespoon of cheese and two tablespoons of the spinach filling in the center of the tortilla. Roll and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat until all the tortillas are filled. Arrange them in the dish with 1/8" inch in between.
- Pour ¼ cup sauce over each enchilada and spinkle the remaining cheese evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Heat the oil in a second skillet on medium heat. (It's ready when you see the oil "shimmer".) Have the corn tortillas ready.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly. Serve immediately.
Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Top with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Note: The recipe makes four servings of three enchiladas each.
Kitchen tools you'll need for Spinach Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce:9x13 Baking Dish, Graters, Mixing Bowls, Oval Platters, Skillets, Tongs
Ready in: 1 Hour