Ruby Red Chicken Pasta Salad
This is an excellent light supper. The combination of flavors is unusual and delicious. And it's good for you, too.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 large chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
- 2 cups uncooked rotelle pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package frozen peas, cooked according to package directions, drained
- 1/2 cup diced pimiento
- 2 cups Texas Ruby Red grapefruit sections, drained (reserve 1/3 cup juice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed or put through a garlic press
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (rounded 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil.
- Arrange chicken breasts in single layer in pan, and return broth to boiling.
- Cover and cook about 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Drain and cool.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Drain and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cooked pasta, cooked peas, pimiento, grapefruit sections and reserved grapefruit juice.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Pour dressing over chicken mixture, and toss lightly.
- May be served cold, but immediate serving is better.
Note: There is very little table salt in this recipe. I do, however,
use salted chicken broth, and I salt the pasta when I cook it. Persons
concerned about salt and fat content can use unsalted, low-fat chicken broth.
When I make this dish, I remove as much of the membrane around the grapefruit sections as I can. This is a little bit tedious, but makes for a juicier, tastier result.
Ready in: 4 Hrs