Red Cabbage (Rotkohl)
This is one of our recipes that celebrates the heritage of German settlers in the Central Texas Hill Country.
- 2-pound red cabbage
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup cooking apples, peeled and diced (Golden Delicious, Granny Smith)
- >5 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Wash cabbage, core and shred.
- In a very large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil.
- Add onions and sauté until just starting to brown.
- Add the cabbage, apples, cloves and vinegar.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir.
- Add water and salt.
- Simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add sugar, stir well, and serve.
Ready in: 1 Hr 55 Min