Creamy Pumpkin Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 2 cups pumpkin purée or cooked pumpkin, fresh or canned
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, sauté the chopped onion and leeks until onion is transparent.
- Stir in pumpkin, potato, tomatoes and chicken stock, salt, both peppers and Tabasco sauce. Add chopped celery leaves and parsley. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Vegetables should be tender. Allow to cool somewhat.
- Process soup in a blender or food processor, in batches if necessary, until soup is puréed.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the cream and butter and continue heating, but do not allow it to boil.
- Makes about 8 servings.
Note: Oddly enough, your old blender will give you a smoother result here than your fancy-schmancy food processor. Garnish with homemade croutons or serve with a hot dark bread. This is wonderful soup. This recipe appeared in the article Puns and Pumpkins.
Ready in: 1 Hr 30 Min