You make this old-fashioned pineapple sherbet in your freezer. Folding in the whipped cream makes it airy. A delightful way to cool down on a hot day!
- Except for the whipping cream, combine remaining ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat for fifteen to twenty minutes until the mixture has cooked down slightly.
- Pour the cooked mixture into a shallow tray or dish and chill for 3 to 4 hours until firm around the edges, but slushy in the middle. If your freezer is especially efficient, check mixture after a few hours. Do not let mixture freeze solid.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy whipping cream until thick and stiff peaks form.
- Remove the partially frozen mixture from the freezer. Stir mixture briskly to combine the frozen and semi-frozen elements. Fold the whipped cream into the slushy fruit mixture, and return to the freezer.
- After a few hours, remove from the freezer and re-stir. Return to the freezer and let freeze overnight or until completely frozen.
- Before serving, allow mixture to sit at room temperature for a few minutes.
Note: Be sure to use a shallow dish like a cake pan. I use my 9x9 Pyrex baking dish, and it works very well.
Ready in: 23 Hrs or less