- 4 quarts green tomatoes, peeled, cored, finely chopped (about 32 medium)
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet red bellpeppers
- 2 cups finely chopped green bell peppers
- 2 cups finely chopped white onion
- 1 small head cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup salt
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- Combine the vegetables and salt in a large non-reactive container, cover loosely, and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, drain the vegetables, pressing out the juice. Add the vinegar, brown sugar and the spices (tie up the spices in a cheesecloth bag). Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are clear and the syrup is thickened.
- Discard the spice bag and seal the piccalilli in hot jars, allowing 1/4-inch head space in each jar.
- Makes about 8 pints.
Ready in: 24 Hrs