- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
- Purée the peaches and 6 tablespoons sugar in a blender until smooth. Mixture should yield about 2-1/4 cups.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon, and set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the 1-1/2 cups sugar and shortening. Lower speed and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the puréed peaches and dry ingredients, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in the pecans and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out on wire racks.
- Makes 2 loaves.
Note: Lightly toasting the pecans will make a big flavor difference. To toast whole pecans, spread them out on a baking sheet and toast at 350°F for 4 or 5 minutes, or until you begin to smell them. Pecan pieces or chopped pecans will take less time to toast.
Ready in: 1 Hr 10 Min