Molasses Banana Bread
This is a good bread to make when that bunch of bananas has ripened faster than you could eat them. Moist and not overly sweet, Molasses Banana Bread is practically fat free, very nutritious and surprisingly low in calories. It freezes well.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 or 3)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and lightly grease two 4-1/2 x 8-1/2 inch loaf pans.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix in the raisins.
- Mash the bananas in a separate bowl. Stir in the molasses, honey and buttermilk. Add this mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just enough to blend.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Makes 2 loaves.
Nutrition facts: 115 calories, .5 grams fat.
Ready in: 1 Hr 10 Min