These are a must when you are serving any fried fish. Hush puppies are also irresistible all by themselves.
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons bacon drippings, melted
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- Crisco or other vegetable shortening for frying
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl, and mix well.
- Melt enough shortening in a skillet or deep fryer to completely cover the hush puppies.
- Heat to a temperature of 375°F. Drop batter by spoonfuls (approximately 1-1/2 inches in diameter), a few at a time, into the hot oil and deep fry until crisp and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve at once.
- Makes about a dozen.
Note: Test your first hush puppy. Fry it until the color is right, then remove it and cut in half to make sure it is cooked through. Then you can eat it.
Ready in: 10 Min