Hershey's Fudge Cake
Neither loved ones nor lovers can resist this sumptuous cake, especially when it's frosted with Chocolate Fudge Frosting. This cake recipe, known as the Chocolate Town Special Cake, appeared on the Hershey's cocoa tin (yes, Hershey's cocoa came in a metal container) during the Fifties and Sixties. This cake's appeal is just as great now as it was then.
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup Crisco or other good shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa and boiling water until smooth; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and beat well. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in cocoa mixture, and blend thoroughly.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- Makes one, 9-inch two-layer cake.
Note: The perfect frosting for this cake is Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
Ready in: 1 Hour 10 Min