Grandma's Fried Okra and Potatoes
This is a dish my husband loves, and he professes to hate okra! Not the deep-fried, batter-dipped variety, this is quick -- something you can keep an eye on while the rest of your supper cooks. And remember, the larger the okra pod, the tougher, so choose small pods.
- Wash okra and cut off stem ends. Cut in 1/2-inch pieces. Peel potatoes and chop into 1/2-inch dice. Put okra and potatoes in large bowl. Add chopped onion to mixture.
- Sprinkle cornmeal, salt and pepper over mixture. Stir until cornmeal is evenly distributed throughout mixture.
- Heat cooking oil in large skillet over medium heat (oil should be hot, but not smoking hot). Carefully spoon okra/potato mixture into hot oil.
- Fry, turning mixture occasionally, until potatoes are done and mixture is nicely browned, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Makes enough for 4 or 5 hungry people.
Total time: 30 Min