Dr Pepper Chocolate Cake
You don't have to be a Dr Pepper fan to appreciate this rich, moist cake. More Dr Pepper recipes are in our article about cooking with Dr. Pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Sift together the sifted flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa and baking soda and set aside.
- Heat the Dr Pepper in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla for 2 minutes. At lowest speed, slowly add the Dr Pepper mixture and beat for 1 additional minute. Gradually add the dry ingredients, and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes, then invert onto cooling racks, lift off pans and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored Crisco
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup Dr Pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Using an electric mixer, beat the shortening and butter until light and fluffy. At low speed, gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Add the Dr Pepper and vanilla, and turn mixer to high speed until frosting is light and fluffy, about 1 minute.Note: For the photograph, we made this with Texas' own cane sugar Dublin Dr. Pepper, back when that was still around. This is a good recipe in which to use dry buttermilk. For a product review, see Dry Buttermilk.
Ready in: 2 Hrs