Cranberry Nut Bread
Cranberry nut bread is a perfect quick bread to make during the holidays or anytime fresh cranberries are available. Using a food processor to chop the cranberries will make everything significantly easier. The orange juice adds sweet, citrusy notes to the bread.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups coarsely chopped raw cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and lightly grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt, and set aside. Cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the orange juice. Stir the orange rind, pecans and cranberries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and finish cooling on wire rack. Wrap tightly for storage. This bread freezes well.
- Makes 1 loaf.
Note: Top with whipped cream and you've got an instant dessert.
Prep time: 20 Min; Cook time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes; Ready in: 1 Hour 35 minutes