Chili con Carne Cheese Enchiladas
- Make the chili con carne sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch Pyrex dish.
- Chop the onions, grate the cheese, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a second skillet on medium heat. (It's ready when you see the oil "shimmer".) Have the corn tortillas ready.
- Ladle enough of the chili con carne sauce to cover the bottom of the dish, about one and a half cups.
- Pick up a tortilla with tongs and dip both sides into the hot oil for two or three seconds. This softens the tortilla.
- Remove the tortilla from the oil, letting the excess oil drip back into the skillet.
- Place a row of shredded cheese about the thickness of your thumb down the center of the tortilla, roll up tightly and place seam-side down into the baking dish. Repeat until all twelve tortillas fill the dish.
- Pour the remaining chile con carne sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle the enchiladas generously with more cheese.
Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Top with chopped onions and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Note: Longhorn cheese is just a mild cheddar cheese. Don't use sharp cheddar. The recipe makes four servings of three enchiladas each.
Ready in: 50 Min