Bunuelos (pronounced boon-WAY-los) are addictive. You won't be able to stop after the first one. Or the second or third.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 8-inch flour tortillas
- vegetable oil for frying
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large plastic bag, mixing well. Set aside.
- Cut tortillas into 3x2-inch strips. Fry a few at a time in 1 inch of hot oil (375°F) until crisp and golden, turning once. (Or deep-fry in 375°F oil until golden.)
- Drain on paper towels. While still warm, place a few at a time in sugar mixture in bag. Shake gently to coat. Store in airtight container.
Note: You can make very good bunuelos with store-bought tortillas. For exceptional results, however, use homemade tortillas. Full particulars, including techniques and tips, are given in the article How to Make Flour Tortillas (with Mixed Results).
Ready in: 25 Min