Blueberry Oat Scones
Some folks dismiss scones as glorified biscuits, but to do so is a mistake. These scones, whether topped with butter or, as pictured, creamy, tart lemon curd, are a special treat. They make a wintry day brighter and a spring day sunnier.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a cookie sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- With a pastry blender or fork, cut in the 1/3 cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat egg slightly. Add orange juice and orange peel. Beat well. Add to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Stir in blueberries.
- On a floured surface, gently knead the dough to make a smooth ball. Place on the greased cookie sheet. With floured hands, press dough into an 8-inch round.
- Cut into 8 wedges, but don't separate them. If using topping, brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges. Serve warm.
- Makes 8 scones.
Total time: 45 Min