Black Beans (Frijoles Negros)
- Wash black beans, cover with water and allow to soak overnight; rinse; drain; set aside.
- Pour soaked beans into a heavy stock pot and add enough water to cover beans by one to two inches.
- Add all ingredients except salt and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until the beans are tender but not mushy.
- Add salt.
- Garnish with cilantro and sour cream.
- Makes 1 ½ quarts.
Note: A dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh minced cilantro is a nice garnish for this soup. Serve this with any kind of cornbread, such as Jalapeño Cornbread, and fresh tomatoes.
Total time: 12 Hrs