Bacon Onion Cheese Biscuits
These biscuits are absolutely wonderful for accompanying any meal, but if made one-third or one-quarter size (watch them carefully in the oven), they are a terrific little appetizer.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender. Add the milk, cheese, chopped onion and crumbled bacon, blending quickly, just until dry ingredients are moistened. A sticky dough will result.
- Turn the dough out on a floured board. Flour your hands and knead the dough 3 or 4 times. Important: Do not overhandle biscuit dough or biscuits will be tough.
- Roll or pat to a 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter.
- For soft-sided biscuits, place close together on a lightly greased baking sheet or in a lightly greased cast iron skillet (vegetable cooking spray works just fine). For biscuits that are crusty all around, place about an inch apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Makes about 12 biscuits.
Ready in: 35 Min