Almond Mocha Surprise Cookies
The recipe title gives away the surprise, but you don't have to tell folks what the recipe's called.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, instant coffee and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter with the brown sugar. Add the eggs, and beat until very light and smooth. Stir in the almond extract.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture, blending well. Refrigerate the dough for 1 to 2 hours.
- Shape the dough into balls using about 1 tablespoon of dough for each. Press 1 almond into each ball, completely covering it with dough.
- Place about 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool on racks, and prepare the Mocha Glaze.
- 1 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder or granules
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup (Karo)
- 1 tablespoon milk, plus a little more if needed
- Combine the chocolate chips, instant coffee and corn syrup in the top of a double boiler. Place over, not in, simmering water until the chocolate melts. Stir in the milk, blending well. Keep warm over hot water. If glaze becomes too thick, add milk, a few drops at a time, to thin it.
- With tongs, dip each cookie into the hot glaze coating just the top surface of the cookie. Let dry on racks.
- Makes 48 cookies.
Total time: 45 Min