1 cup hazelnuts (filberts), toasted [Buy Roasted Hazelnuts
2-1/2 cups sugar, divided
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
Confectioners' sugar (optional)
Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 10-inch square or round tube pan or a 12-cup fluted baking pan (such as a Bundt). Dust with cocoa (to avoid a white coating on the baked cake).
- In a food processor with knife blade attached, pulse the hazelnuts with 1/2 cup of the sugar until nuts are very finely ground. Occasionally, stop the processor and scrape the sides with a rubber spatula. Transfer nut mixture to a medium-size bowl and stir in the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with mixer at low speed, beat the butter with the remaining 2 cups sugar until blended, scraping sides of the bowl often. Increase speed to medium-high. Beat until creamy (about 3 minutes), occasionally scraping bowl.
- Reduce speed to low. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat
just until smooth.
Spoon batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- For a tube pan, use a small metal spatula or knife with a thin blade to loosen the cake from sides and center tube of the pan. Invert cake onto a cake plate, then immediately invert again (the top side will be up) onto a wire rack to cool completely. For a fluted pan, invert cake directly onto wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the cocoa and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Do NOT boil. Remove from heat.
Whisk in confectioners' sugar gradually. Add vanilla and beat with whisk until smooth. Add more water 1/2 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
Drizzle over and down the sides of the cake.
Kitchen tools you'll need for Chocolate Hazelnut Pound Cake:
, Bundt Pan
, Mixing Bowls
Ready in: 1 Hour 45 Minutes