- OMAHA STEAKS: Buy Steaks, Gourmet Food Gifts, Wine & Lobster
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
This recipe is famous. We always make it for Thanksgiving, but it certainly works just fine on any day of the year.
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2017 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
This is one of the best pies you will ever make, especially if you're a chocolate lover. Its ingredients do not depend on any season, and it is mouth-wateringly good served warm or cold.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch baked pie shell, cooled
Although this recipe calls for whole milk, I have used 2-percent milk with very good results.
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week.
- Two Places at Once: Slow Cooker Sausage, Spinach and Bean Soup recipe, Imperial Sugar: Praline Apple Pie Cheesecake recipe, ATX Eats and Treats: Top 5 Wines from Becker Vineyards, So Much Life lists First time in Austin? Here's where to eat!.
- September 26 - It's National Pancake Lovers Day! A great time for Gingerbread Pancakes from Austin's Magnolia Cafe
- Terlingua International Chili Championships , Nov. 1 - 4 the CASI International Chili Championship is Saturday, November 4th, 22nd Annual Texas Book Festival, Nov. 4 - 5 always great for fun and discovery!.
- Austin360: Times have changed! A delightful review of the late John Kelso's BBQ joint columns from 1978.
- Bon Appetit: How To Read a Chocolate Bar Label
- Houston Chronicle: Houston's Goode Co. BBQ celebrates 40 years.
- Addie Broyles It’s time for a pork chop revival, with or without the Shake 'N Bake
- Texas BBQ Posse: there's a new way to light the charcoal.
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
by Stella Parks - "connects the dots between your childhood treats and digs into the storied pasts of American favorites, such as cream pies, vanilla wafers, peanut brittle and even Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups." - Addie Broyles / Austin American-Statesman
- Breakfast in Texas Recipes for Elegant Brunches, Down-Home Classics & Local Favorites
by Terry Thompson-Anderson
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- September is National Biscuit Month & Better Breakfast Month --- see our full list of American Food Holidays.
- NYT Food: Pistachio and Rose Water Semolina Cake - "World's Best Chocolate Cake"
- MySA: New Braunfels' Krause’s Cafe worth the daytrip
- Urban IPM answers questions regarding Texas' recent problems: huge floodwater mosquitoes and floating masses of fire ants!
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Video of the Week: A visit to Bonham State Park.
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter