- OMAHA STEAKS: Buy Steaks, Gourmet Food Gifts, Wine & Lobster
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
Get Thee to a Bakery!
Is it too early for savory pumpkin cake? We're putting this out there now so you can use this not only for the holidays, but it also makes a great cake for an office pot luck or party!
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2017 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
Is Pumpkin Pie a dud at your house? If members of your family (usually the children) turn up their noses at traditional pumpkin pie, try this seasonal favorite that is guaranteed to have everyone asking for more. Savory Pumpkin Cake is perfect for Thanksgiving. A mixture of spices will fill your senses with warmth and a homey feeling.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon each: cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup Bundt pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening
- Add the eggs.
- Add this to the dry mixture and cream well.
- Add the pumpkin and vanilla.
- Mix well and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 90 minutes at 350°F degrees.
Cream Cheese Frosting may be added, but the cake is scrumptious without any topping. It is moist and keeps well for several days, if there's any left.
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week.
- A Sweet Pea Chef: How to Make Pumpkin Puree, Stetted: Pumpkin Pancakes recipe, Deglutenized & Delicious: Creamy, Rich Pumpkin Soup recipe, Let's Taco Bout It: Honey Blossom Orange Cake recipe, Smoked Salt and Pepper: Pumpkin Spice Brownies recipe, Desserts with Benefits: Healthy Tiramisu recipe, Angel Johnston talks about the new Jayne Mansfield documentary, Mansfield 66/67.
- November 6 is National Nachos Day! Texas Strip Steak Nachos recipe.
- The Smoking Ho visits Heavy's Outdoor BBQ in San Antonio
- Eater Austin: Two Pitmasters Are Leading New-School Barbecue in Texas.
- Wurstfest! November 3 to November 12 New Braunfels -- Houston Zoo Lights at the Houston Zoo November 18 - January 14. "Twinkling lights. Hot chocolate. Family. What do the holidays mean to you?"
- Addie Broyles: How to eat that decorative squash on your table with Parmesan & brown butter.
- Chris Field's now famous review of Blue Bell's "Christmas Cookies".
- Austinot: Road Trip to Round Top - FoodFash: Road Trip to Kingsland.
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
by Stella Parks - "connects the dots between your childhood treats and digs into the storied pasts of American favorites, such as cream pies, vanilla wafers, peanut brittle and even Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups." - Addie Broyles / Austin American-Statesman
- Breakfast in Texas Recipes for Elegant Brunches, Down-Home Classics & Local Favorites
by Terry Thompson-Anderson
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- NYT Food: On Puffball Mushrooms
- October is National National Chili Month --- see our full list of American Food Holidays.
- Corpus Christi Caller-Times: Old Bayview Cemetery not the final resting place of Pancho Villa's gold
- Imperial Sugar: Sugar Skull Sugar Cookies
- Marfa Public Radio & Texas Standard - Shafter, TX - The Former "Richest Acre In Texas" Fell Hard When Demand For Silver Took A Dive.
- Startup will train crows to pick up cigarette butts in return for peanuts .
- Houstonia: THE ASTROS WON THE WORLD SERIES THE ASTROS WON THE WORLD SERIES THE ASTROS WON THE WORLD SERIES THE ASTROS WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!
- A terrific photo album by Texas A&M's Texas Sea Grant - Post-Harvey Miscellaneous (includes Rockport) - 247 photos.
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Video of the Week: Dallas' Pecan Lodge Sells 1800 lbs of Meat Per Day — Cult Following.
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter