- OMAHA STEAKS OFFER: Up To 60% Off Select Combos + Free Shipping
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
Of Rice and Men
Whether you are making dinner for yourself, or for your family, the recipe in today's newsletter is great. There's something very special in making your own pot of beans in a Dutch oven. The rice is good too.
If you want to read our previous Recipe of the Week newsletters, I have been making them available from a new page on our website. Look here!
Enjoy this Texas Cooking recipe and have a great week!
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2018 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
A classic dish, sure to become a favorite at your house. This recipe was a blue-ribbon winner at the State Fair of Texas.
- 1-1/2 cups dried red or pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 3 carrots, grated
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 8 strips of bacon, diced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- dash of garlic salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (not instant rice)
- Rinse and pick over beans.
- Put beans and water in a Dutch oven or large pot, bring to boil and boil for 45 minutes.
- In another pan, sauté bacon, carrots and onion until onion is softened, but not browned.
- Mix drained beans and bacon mixture, and add the chicken stock.
- Cook over medium heat 15 minutes.
- Stir in spices, lower heat and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are soft.
- Add rice and, if necessary, more chicken stock.
- Simmer for 1 additional hour.
- Salt to taste.
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
What to make with red beans and rice? How about some cornbread?
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week:
- A Sweet Pea Chef: Spicy Shrimp Tacos and 7 Best Steak Marinades, Inspired By Charm Peanut Butter Sheet Cake recipe, Phat Phoodies: Pesto Salmon with Pecans recipe, Food Fidelity Smoked Duck and Andouille Gumbo recipe, Forking Up: Zesty Hamburger Soup, Austinot the Complete Guide to Austin's Moonlight Towers, Cha Ching Queen shows us How to Clean Your Keurig.
- Events!! Galveston Food & Wine Festival returns on April 20-21, New "Taco Fest" festival in downtown San Antonio coming April 14 at La Villita, 6th Annual Houston BBQ Festival Sunday April 15 1pm to 4pm. 2018 is San Antonio's official 300th birthday! Keep up with events for their tricentennial at 300 San Antonio.
- Fort Worth Weekly: Batter Up - the new Rangers' season brings new delicacies to Globe Life Park
- Southern Living: The South's Best Barbecue Joint 2018 (It's a tie!).
- Eater visits 2M Smokehouse in San Antonio.
- Addie Broyles: For the second time in three years, the Houston-based grocery chain Fiesta Mart has been sold. - Take a cue from a 10-year-old and put this kalamata olive relish on your burger
- The Smoking Ho visits the new Hays Co. Bar-B-Que by the Hernandez family who started in a food trailer.
- NYT Food: A New Generation of Food Magazines Think Small, and in Ink.
- Austin 360: Peeps: Love 'em or hate 'em, they're here and here's what you can do with them.
- Jess Pryles, Texas' own "Hardcore Carnivore", preaches the gospel of smoked meat --- Buy the book on Amazon
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- Hardcore Carnivore: Cook Meat Like You Mean It
by Jess Pryles
What's up in the world of BBQ?
- BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
by Stella Parks - "connects the dots between your childhood treats and digs into the storied pasts of American favorites, such as cream pies, vanilla wafers, peanut brittle and even Reese's Peanut Butter Cups." - Addie Broyles / Austin American-Statesman
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- Cool Material: The Sandwich Bucket List
- NYT Smarter Living: How to Stop Eating Sugar
- Bev Cooks: Spring Chicken & Rice Soup
- Houston Chronicle: Documentary series on the tacos of Texas filming in Houston this week.
- Dallas Observer: Life of an Influencer: Mai Lyn Ngo Gets Paid To Eat Fried Chicken
- MySA: George Strait named "Texan of the Year" for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.
- KSAT: Local historian makes "a new history of old San Antonio" podcasts".
- SA Flavor: H-E-B introduces limited "Fiesta Dish Soap" for San Antonio Fiesta
- Caller Times: The Best Food Trucks in Corpus Christi
- Oklahoma's News 4: Millennials replacing engagement rings with diamonds embedded in their fingers
- Urban IPM: Meet Lucas the Spider
- The museum in Grand Saline encourages you to lick the walls.
- Texas Standard: How San Antonio Saved Its Symphony.
- Texas Parks & Wildlife: Explore Texas State Parks this Spring.
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Heinz Pickles Classic Commercial "If you were the best tasting pickle, wouldn't you be proud?"
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter