- Ghirardelli Chocolate - Enjoy 10% off $50 with code SAVE10, 15% off $75 with code SAVE15, or 20% off $100 with code SAVE20. Offers ends 07/31.
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
Frozen Fruit Fantasy
Here is a surprisingly delicious, tropical-tasting treat that is more of a dessert than a salad.
If you make any of our recipes, let us know what you think on Facebook, or in our message forums!
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2017 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
Serve this tantalizing frozen treat on a blistering day, and you'll be a star. It's every bit as good as ice cream and less trouble to make. This recipe calls for the use of a 9x12-inch dish, but if all of it won't be consumed at once, it's a good idea to divide it among smaller dishes or individual ramekins.
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups strawberry slices
- 15-1/2-ounce can crushed pineapple, slightly drained
- 1-1/2 cups sliced bananas
- Beat cream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth.
- Gently fold in the whipped topping and remaining ingredients, and spoon into a 9x13-inch dish OR one or more containers or ramekins (see Note). Cover with aluminum foil and freeze until firm, 3 to 6 hours depending upon the size of the dish.
- Remove from freezer and remove aluminum foil 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week.
- Street Smart Kitchen: A Carrot Cake Recipe They'll Beg For, Kit Concoctions: Spicy Pork Burgers with Chiopotle Peach Mayo recipe, Healthy Peanut Butter and Jelly Paninis, The Fit Fork: Smoky Peach Chipolte Vinaigrette, Dressing & Marinade, Jess Pryles: Smoked Onion Dip.
- July 23 is National Vanilla Ice Cream Day - have you made our recipe for Country-Style Vanilla Ice Cream?
- TM BBQ: Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue in Pflugerville - Pflugerville has some of the most creative barbecue sandwiches in the Austin area.
- Addie Broyles If you get a food-borne illness in Texas this month, here's why you need to report it ASAP.
- Houston Chronicle: We're in the Golden Age of Barbecue. That means waiting. Lots of waiting.
- Esquire: Tips to Improve Your Backyard Smoker by Aaron Franklin.
- NYT Food: Make Your Best Salad
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- Breakfast in Texas Recipes for Elegant Brunches, Down-Home Classics & Local Favorites
by Terry Thompson-Anderson
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- This new book is a MUST for wine lovers! The Periodic Table of Wine
by Sarah Rowlands
- July is National Hot Dog Month and National Ice Cream Month --- see our full list of American Food Holidays.
- Texas Standard: Lyle Lovett remembers guitar-builder Bill Collings as a master craftsman and friend.
- Austin Chronicle: Fredericksburg's Hill Top Cafe vs. Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
- Food & Wine: Is Sparkling Water Bad for Your Teeth?
- Test your taco knowledge with Mando Rayo.
- Star Telegram: How a Fort Worth pie became a movie star
- Priceonomics: Is yours a taco city or a burrito city?
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Video of the Week: State Fair of Texas' greenhouse manager Drew plants tomatos for the Fall
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter