- Ghirardelli Chocolate - Enjoy 10% off $50 with code SAVE10, 15% off $75 with code SAVE15, or 20% off $100 with code SAVE20. Offers ends 07/31.
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
Love Cold Soup
Cool down this Summer with soup! You can use fresh canteloupe for our chilled Canteloupe Soup recipe. It's isn't much, but if you do not want to use dark rum, you can use half a teaspoon of rum extract.
If you make any of our recipes, let us know what you think on Facebook, or in our message forums!
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2017 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
- 4 cups cantaloupe, chilled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 2 cantaloupes)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients, other than salt and pepper, in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and frothy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, or chill for at least two hours and serve.
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week.
- Food Banjo: Tomato Basil Pasta with Parmesan Cheese recipe, A Sweet Pea Chef: Watermelon Sorbet recipe, The Smoking Ho visits The Shed BBQ in Ocean Springs, MS, Jess Pryles: smoked tomato cubes for bloody mary or micheladas, Austinot outlines a perfect, Summer day trip to New Braunfels, TX.
- July 17 is National Peach Ice Cream Day - have you made our recipe for Peach Ice Cream?
- TM BBQ: Stubb's vs. Stubb's - The BBQ sauce brand owned by McCormick will retain the name Stubb’s, while the restaurant and live music venue in Austin will not.
- Austin 360: The bright (and not-so-bright) side of making Jell-O cookies.
- Cadillac Smoker for sale in Garland right now Only $1600!
- Texas Standard: Central Texas Peach Crop Takes a Hit after Mild Winter.
- Austin Monthly: Matt's El Rancho's Migas recipe
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- Breakfast in Texas Recipes for Elegant Brunches, Down-Home Classics & Local Favorites
by Terry Thompson-Anderson
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- This new book is a MUST for wine lovers! The Periodic Table of Wine
by Sarah Rowlands
- July is National Hot Dog Month and National Ice Cream Month --- see our full list of American Food Holidays.
- MySA 365 Days of Tacos: The top 10 picks from the first half of 2017 - great list of places and photos.
- Texas Historical Commission: "First Lady of Texas" Ima Hogg born this day in 1882 - nice bio - (goes to facebook)
- The Bend: "Living Among Wind-swept Oaks," a nice overview of our Fulton Mansion State Historic Site
- Test your taco knowledge with Mando Rayo.
- Urban IPM: Summer is here....and so are cicadas!
- Post & Courier: TSA posted a photo of a duck at the Charleston airport, ruffling the feathers of Instagram users.
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Video of the Week: Texas Parks & Wildlife - Secret Snails of West Texas
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter