Taste of New Orleans
We're going to miss Mardi Gras this year. But that won't stop us from enjoying this cajun favorite - red beans and rice! I've included a couple additional links to funs recipes after the main recipe. Bundle up and stay warm!
Take care, everybody!
Did you see last week's newsletter Big Banana Pudding
→→ I WANT YOU TO Follow Texas Cooking on Instagram! ← ←
Enjoy this Texas Cooking recipe and have a great week!
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2021 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website, as well as some old favorites. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
If you want to read our previous Recipe of the Week newsletters, I have been making them available from a new page on our website. Look here!
classic dish, sure to become a favorite at your house. This recipe was a blue-ribbon winner at the State Fair of Texas.
- 1-1/2 cups dried red or pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 3 carrots, grated
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 8 strips of bacon, diced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- dash of garlic salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (not instant rice)
- Rinse and pick over beans. Put beans and water in a Dutch oven or large pot, bring to boil and boil for 45 minutes. Drain.
- In another pan, sauté bacon, carrots and onion until onion is softened, but not browned.
- Mix drained beans and bacon mixture, and add the chicken stock. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes. Stir in spices, lower heat and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are soft.
- Add rice and, if necessary, more chicken stock. Simmer for 1 additional hour. Salt to taste.
Lone Star List
- NYT Food: Saying Goodbye with Beans By Samin Nosrat
- Tag Sale Tastes: Shrimp and Avocado Salsa
- NYT Food: There’s No Better Time for Maximalist Brownies Stuffed or topped with the likes of sugared coconut, pecan pie filling or salted pretzels, these brownies are not about subtlety.
- Houston Food Finder: The Best Spots to Find Crawfish in Houston for 2021
- Marfa Public Radio: For Valentine Postmaster, Letters Of Love Take On New Meaning This Year
- New in the Book Pile!
Southern Smoke by Matthew Register.
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- The Peached Tortilla: Modern Asian Comfort Food from Tokyo to Texas
by Eric Silverstein - Serving food in Austin's Allendale neighborhood, The Peached Tortilla is an Austin treasure. This new cookbook reveals how one man brought Asian street food to Texas, creating wonderful new culinary conbinations. Buy today!
- LOOK! Franklin Steak: Dry-Aged. Live-Fired. Pure Beef
Aaron Franklin's new be-all, end-all guide to cooking the perfect steak. by Aaron Franklin
- The Austin Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from Deep in the Heart of Texas
by Paula Forbes
Great Austin-style recipes here!
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter