- Shop Gift Baskets, Chocolates and Strawberry Bark at Ghirardelli.com
- Special Offer from OMAHA STEAKS - Check Out Select Combos, Great Prices, Free Shipping
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
Super Bowl Sunday
Topping our list of Super Bowl party food this year is the undisputed king, Frito Pie. For a real winner, if you're feeding a hungry handful or a small crowd, double this recipe and bake it in a 9x13-inch dish.
Enjoy this Texas Cooking recipe and have a great week!
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2018 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
This was a real favorite when I was a kid (yes, they had Fritos back then), and it still is. With the Frito-Lay Company being based in Dallas, this dish is about as Texan as you can get.
The recipe, as written here, is perfect for a 9x9-inch dish. But for a crowd or, even better, tailgating, double the recipe and bake it in a 9x13-inch dish. Cover the hot dish well with aluminum foil to keep it warm or use an insulated carrier. Perfect for game day and a Super Bowl crowd, too!
- 3 cups Fritos corn chips
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2-1/2 cups chili (your favorite -- homemade, canned, whatever)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread 2 cups of Fritos in a baking dish (an 8x8- or 9x9-inch dish works great -- double the recipe for a 9x13-inch dish). Sprinkle half the onion and half the cheese over the Fritos.
- Warm up the chili in a small saucepan. Then pour the chili over the onion and cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining Fritos, onion and cheese over the chili.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until heated through and cheese is bubbly. Serve hot..
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week:
- a pleasant little kitchen: Buffalo Ranch Hot Wings; The Homesick Texan: Spicy Applesauce Cake; Cookie Madness: Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies; Aggie's Kitchen: Smoked Sausage and White Bean Soup with Spinach
- February 4 is National Homemade Soup Day - here's our recipe for Cabbage Kielbasa Soup
- Events!! February 2-13. The third largest Mardi Gras in the country features parades, concerts, masked balls, balcony parties and more. ; Texas Monthly's Whiskey Affair - February 8, 2018 is San Antonio's official 300th birthday! Keep up with events for their tricentennial at 300 San Antonio.
- Addie Broyles: Beer, pasta, cheese and bacon: This satisfying dinner has ’em all.
- TMBBQ visits Don't Have A Cow Over Pricey Prime-Grade Brisket
- D Magazine: Head to the Mockingbird Diner for Breakfast
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
by Stella Parks - "connects the dots between your childhood treats and digs into the storied pasts of American favorites, such as cream pies, vanilla wafers, peanut brittle and even Reese's Peanut Butter Cups." - Addie Broyles / Austin American-Statesman
- Vinegar Revival: Artisanal Recipes for Brightening Dishes and Drinks with Homemade Vinegars
by Harry Rosenblum
The next frontier in fermenting and home brewing is vinegar: the essential ingredient for enhancing your home cooking.
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- February is National Grapefruit Month --- Eat Texas grapefruit! See our full list of American Food Holidays.
- FW Weekly: Church and State: By their fruits -- and veggies -- ye shall know them.
- TM Daily Ten Memorable 2017 Moments for Texas -- and Texans -- in Film
- NYT Food - How to Make Chili: All you need to know and more..
- Texas Tribune: Here's why it's hard for Texans to get alcohol shipped directly to them.
- Houston Chronicle: Peek into what Texas grocery stores used to look like (PHOTOS!)
- Texas Monthly: The Yanks Have Bought Dr Pepper.
- Addie Broyles (again): Flu got you down? These comforting soups will heal your soul.
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Video of the Week: It's Bald Eagle nesting season in Texas - Bald Eagle fun facts .
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter