- Christmas solved! Send special-priced gifts from OMAHA STEAKS
- Enjoy Great Savings from Free Catalogs
Clothing, Wine & Brew, Invitations,
Wedding, Hobbies & Crafts
Cheese Ball Party
Do you want to add dazzle to your annual holiday party this year, beyond the same old ranch dip and vegetable trays? Ronette's Fantastic Cheese Ball will pull people off the couch and away from those Gunsmoke reruns! We know one lady out in Lubbock who's become a big celebrity serving this at her Christmas Party, coupled with our recipe for homemade eggnog.
You are reading our Recipe of the Week newsletter. In 2017 our main monthly newsletter will feature brand new recipes that we add to the TexasCooking.com website. If you do not already receive our monthly newsletter, subscribe here.
This is a really good cheese ball. Simple and quick to put together, you can dress it up or down, depending upon your gathering. Just remember to make it ahead of time.
- 3 ounces blue cheese, at room temperature
- 2 3-ounce jars Old English processed cheese spread, at room temperature
- 12 ounces cream cheese (regular, not whipped), at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated white onion (fresh, not dehydrated)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Mix together the softened cheeses, add the grated onion, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup of the parsley. Knead everything together until thoroughly combined. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup of parsley with the chopped pecans and spread evenly on a flat surface. Mold the cheese into whatever shape you desire -- ball, loaf, log -- and press it into the chopped pecan mixture, coating evenly on all sides. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight.
The serving dishes in our photograph are Fiesta dinnerware.
Lone Star List
Important Texas stuff this week.
- TEXAS FREEZE WARNING! Take care of your ourdoor plants before tonight!
- A Sweet Pea Chef: Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Food Fidelity: Hmmm! "cheesy rat blues" grilled cheese with andouille sandwich , The Fit Fork: Pull Apart Bacon Blue Cheese Bread for the Party, The Honest Truth: DIY Wreath to Decorate Your Door for the Holidays, Bev Cooks: No-Knead Cheesy Rustic Bread
- December 1 is National Pie Day - our famous Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.
- The Homesick Texan has a new blog look! By the way, her new book that's all-about Queso makes a terrific Christmas gift!
- THIS WEEKEND - Dickens on the Strand Galveston's World Famous Victorian Holiday Festival, Houston Zoo Lights at the Houston Zoo November 18 - January 14. "Twinkling lights. Hot chocolate. Family. What do the holidays mean to you?"
- San Antonio Current: Family Affected By Sutherland Springs Asks for Christmas Cards for 5-Year-Old Survivor.
- NYT Food: Panettone Has Become an Obsession for American Bakers The Italian holiday bread is revered among serious bread bakers for its extraordinary texture and flavor, but getting it right is a challenge..
- J.C. Reid: Pork Belly Goes Beyond Bacon.
- Texas Standard: Where are all the wild pecans in Austin this year?
- Texas Highways interviews Chef Hugo Ortega about his love for Houston. "started from scratch"
New Cookbooks We're Reading
- BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
by Stella Parks - "connects the dots between your childhood treats and digs into the storied pasts of American favorites, such as cream pies, vanilla wafers, peanut brittle and even Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups." - Addie Broyles / Austin American-Statesman
- Vinegar Revival: Artisanal Recipes for Brightening Dishes and Drinks with Homemade Vinegars
by Harry Rosenblum
The next frontier in fermenting and home brewing is vinegar: the essential ingredient for enhancing your home cooking.
- QUESO!: Regional Recipes for the World's Favorite Chile-Cheese Dip
by Lisa Fain
- December is National Fruit Cake Month --- see our full list of American Food Holidays.
- Granny's Tacos Uses Ambulance as Food Truck to Keep Austin Weird
- Houston Chronicle: Blue Bell's Christmas Cookies ice cream sells out everywhere weeks before Christmas.
- Pearl Harbor Day in Texas - from Arlington - He was on a ship to Hawaii when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Now he's turned 100, Congressman Lyndon B. Johnson was in the Naval Reserve when Pearl Harbor was attacked. He was the first legislator to report for active duty three days later. LBJ's military service
- Texas Monthly: How Big Bend Ranch State Park Earned Its Dark Sky Designation.
- Memphis barbecue bind: TSA confiscates 20 to 30 pounds of tasty sauce per week at airport.
- #TBT in Corpus Christi: Dazzling Christmas display at the Aldridge home off Doddridge a holiday highlight for more than 30 years.
- What to do this weekend? Visit a Farmer's Market! COMPLETE LIST OF FARMERS MARKETS IN TEXAS
Video of the Week: Postcard from Texas: Sea Rim Wetlands.
Request a Free Garden Catalog
Texas Cooking's monthly newsletter showcases new articles, reviews and recipes on the site. Follow our columns about cooking, Texas trivia and other Texas news as well in this informative email.
Sign up here.
Unsubscribe from the Recipe of the Week Newsletter