- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- Cream the shortening and sugar, beating well at medium speed of electric mixer for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with milk and vanilla (and almond extract, if desired).
- Pour into three prepared 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to finish cooling.
For Muffins: Makes approximately 4 dozen. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes in greased muffin tins or paper liners in muffin tins, filling half full.
For Sheet Cake: Pour into greased and floured 17x11-1/2x2-1/4-inch pan. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Prep time: 20 Min; Cooking time: 25 Min; Total time: 45 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell
- Butter Pecan Layer Cake & Frosting
- Favorite Chocolate Layer Cake & Frosting
- Lemon Layer Cake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Louise's Italian Coconut Cake & Frosting
- Making Cakes with Chef Jennifer Farmer
- Red Velvet Cake and the Great Neiman Marcus Cookie Hoax
- Texas Sheet Cake: Hospitality in a Cake