Like any soup, tortilla soup tastes best when made with fresh ingredients. Serve
tortilla soup before a meal or as a main course.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas, torn into spoon-sized pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, puréed
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes, peeled and puréed
- 1/4 cup canned tomato purée
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- crispy tortilla chips, cut into strips like noodles
- The onion and tomato may be puréed together in your blender or food processor.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Sauté the tortilla pieces with the garlic until tortillas soften.
- Add the puréed onion and tomato and bring to a boil.
- Add the canned tomato purée, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check seasonings, and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve hot, and garnish each serving with cooked chicken breast, avocado, cheddar cheese and crisp tortilla strips.
Note: Tortilla soup can be made one day in advance, refrigerated and gently reheated.
Prep time: 30 Min; Cooking time: 30 Min; Total time: 1 Hrs
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell