Like any soup, tortilla soup tastes best when made with fresh ingredients. Serve tortilla soup before a meal or as a main course.
- The onion and tomato may be puréed together in your blender or food processor.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Sauté the tortilla pieces with the garlic until tortillas soften.
- Add the puréed onion and tomato and bring to a boil.
- Add the canned tomato purée, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check seasonings, and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve hot, and garnish each serving with cooked chicken breast, avocado, cheddar cheese and crisp tortilla strips.
Note: Tortilla soup can be made one day in advance, refrigerated and gently reheated.
Total time: 1 Hrs
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell