- Peel the tomatoes (see Note below,) and chop them into small pieces.
- Finely chop the celery, onions, and peppers.
- Mix together the vegetables and salt.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Drain thoroughly in the morning.
- In a large stockpot, combine the sugar, spices and vinegar (making sure sugar is dissolved.)
- Bring to a boil and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and return to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cheesecloth bag holding the mustard seeds.
- Spoon relish into hot sterilized jars and seal.
- Process for 10 minutes in boiling water.
Note: Tomato skins will slip off easily if tomatoes are blanched first. Lower them into boiling water (use a wire basket or collander) for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until skins begin to crack. Then remove them and plunge immediately into cold water.
Prep time: 8 Hrs 30 Min; Cooking time: 55 Min; Total time: 9 Hrs 30 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell