- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté the onion, green pepper and garlic in the oil until just tender.
- Crumble the ground beef into the skillet and brown.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Cook over low-to-medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- While the meat mixture is simmering, bring 3 cups of the water to a boil.
- Slowly pour the corn meal into the remaining 1 cup of cold water, stirring until smooth.
- Add the salt and chile powder to the boiling water, and then, stirring constantly, add the cold corn meal mixture to the boiling water.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Spray a casserole or baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- Using half of the cornmeal mixture, line the dish.
- Fill with the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle sliced ripe olives over the top.
- Using the remaining half of the cornmeal mixture, cover the top of the pie.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
Note: You can jazz this up to your heart's content with chopped green chiles, grated cheese, etc., but it's not necessary. This is classic tamale pie, and the lily needs no gilding.
Total time: 1 Hr