Back in the old days before there were chain restaurants on every corner, someone created what came to be known as Taco Salad. Amazingly, they did this without the benefit of packaged taco seasoning, Doritos and bowl-shaped taco shells. It was a smash success and, I think, is still the best.
- With a paring knife, remove the core from the head of lettuce, as well as any thick ribs.
- Wash and drain well on paper towels in the refrigerator.
- Pat excess water from lettuce with more paper towels.
- Brown the ground beef with the chili powder, cumin, garlic and oregano.
- Drain well.
- Set aside and keep at room temperature.
- Tear the chilled lettuce into bite-size pieces and combine in a large bowl with the beef mixture, beans, tomatoes, onion, cheese, Fritos and avocados.
- Toss to combine ingredients.
- Mix the salt and lemon juice with the mayonnaise and stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the salad and toss again.
- Serve at once.
Note: This recipe makes a lot of salad. It's a great choice for a buffet or gathering of eight, ten or a dozen guests. If you are making the recipe as stated here, you'll need a very large bowl in which to toss the salad and a somewhat smaller bowl in which to serve it. However, the recipe can be easily halved if you're cooking for a smaller group.
Total time: 45 Min
Recipe editor Patricia Mitchell