If you want really perfect meringue for your pies or puddings, this is the recipe for you. It's a little more trouble then ordinary meringue, but it will not produce the little sugar beads that annoy so many people, and it's absolutely gorgeous.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the egg whites, sugar, corn syrup and salt with a handheld whisk, just until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Place the bowl over but not touching simmering water in a saucepan and whisk until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Set the bowl on the mixer (use the whisk attachment) and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and beat until the outside of the bowl is cool and medium-firm peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Be sure to put the meringue on the filling while the filling is still hot.
- Bake in a 350°F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Total time: 20 Min